These home security tips can help protect your house from burglary and theft. Travelers’ safety professionals deliver important guidance regarding landscaping, lighting and other tips to help deter theft. Share the infographic below with friends and family to help keep them safe.
- Landscape with security in mind and clear away areas that are overgrown or could provide thieves with hiding spots
- Talk with your local police department for suggestions for security and provide information on any recent break-ins in your area.
- Know your neighbors and work together to keep an eye out for suspicious activities on your street.
- Add lighting such as motion-sensitive fixtures outdoor and automatic timers or smart light bulbs indoors to make it seem like you’re home when you’re away.
- Don’t leave delivery boxes in plain sight, so either conceal your new flat screen TV box or consider having packages delivered elsewhere or requiring a signature for delivery.
- Set a safety routine that includes locking all doors and windows and arming your alarm system every time you leave the house. Also, don’t keep spare keys in obvious hiding spots outside, such as under mats or planters.
- Manage visibility by making sure you can see who is at the front door without opening it, and by placing valuables in the home where they can’t be seen from the street.
- Protect your outdoor valuables and consider securing your grill, lawn mower, bicycles and outdoor gear, plus lock outdoor structures such as sheds and garages.
- Create a plan for when you are away by holding your mail, stopping your newspapers and having a friend or neighbor remove flyers. Also, arrange for lawn mowing or snow removal so it’s not obvious you’re away.
Read the original blog here.